I usually start off by creating a folder for them on my PC. I then Google things that they like (and ABUSE Pinterest), save the pics or ideas in the folder and once I've decided what would work best, I print them out. I also search for pics and words in magazines to make collages.
Hmmm... I wonder if I could turn this into a business opportunity... :)
Here are some things I gave him last year:
Then, I also decided to compile a "mix tape", or rather, CD. I wanted to customise the CD holder as well.
Since he has an obsession with 90's bands and the Motown music genre (weird combo, I know), I decided to print a few icons and symbols of his favourite bands like Green Day, RHCP, Blink 182 and Foo Fighters.
I also included his idol, Steve McQueen, the Star Wars cast and the guys from the 80's movie The Princess Bride (which is my all-time favourite and now one of his - this was basically the first time I showed him an old movie he hadn't seen before!)
Cue cheesy pic...
I just HAD to add the Motown element.
And now, for the playlist:
ANYHOO, I just remembered I was actually writing about what I got him this year.
His lucky packet contained:
- The Snatch movie screenplay and Ghostbusters novel and National Geographic published in the year he was born (all of which I found at a second-hand book store. Believe me, it took some searching)
- Some movie snacks and his favourite cooldrink
- A booklet of "Love Coupons" (which I found here). Things like: Date Night, Breakfast In Bed, Back Rub, Homecooked Meal, etc. There's also a blank one to create your own coupon ;)
- A shaving kit - one of those old-fashioned shaving brushes and some nice (read: pricey) after shave balm
- A mug with a personal message (Pinned here)
- And, of course, a card made by me with some cool quotes about life
- Bryan White
“Don't you find it odd," she continued, "that when you're a kid, everyone, all the world, encourages you to follow your dreams. But when you're older, somehow they act offended if you even try.”
― Ethan Hawke, The Hottest State
Hope this gave you some inspiration for when you can't think of what to get for that special someone.