Thursday, November 14, 2013

The Green Mile at Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens

Last night I went to see one of my favourite movies, The Green Mile, with some friends at Kirstenbosch. I had heard and read about these movie screenings, courtesy of the Galileo Open Air Cinema company, and was really eager to experience one of them for myself.

I only took a few pics because I didn't have my camera with me, but the vibe was fantastic. We arrived just after 7, and the movie started as soon as the sun set completely.




We walked towards the screen, where lots of people had already made themselves comfortable with blankets, chairs and food. What a great initiative for Galileo to rent out chairs and blankets! You can bring your own, but our friend who booked the tickets choose the ticket + blanket option. When we got there they had a few chairs available so we got those too. Those chairs are such a great invention, so easy to set up and  they give you great support for the duration of the movie. They sell them for R20 and blankets for R10 for the evening.




There are also some gourmet food stalls that sell stuff like paella and nachos. My friends bought some paella but I thought R60 was a bit steep for such a small bakkie. There was pre-packaged Act II popcorn on sale that was DELICIOUS. The Sweet & Salty flavour tastes like salted caramel popcorn - yum!

It was really cool that throughout the duration of the movie, there were no rowdy people or trouble-makers. Like my boyfriend said, everyone who was there came specially to see one of their favourite films and to enjoy an evening outdoors with like-minded people.

We have all agreed we are going back to see The Breakfast Club in February, but what I would like to see most is practically my favourite Christmas movie ever, Love Actually (23 December). Oh, and I just know Rameez will want to see Fight Club!

Be sure to follow @Galileo_Cinema on Twitter to get updates, and also to be notified if the event is cancelled due to bad weather. They will refund you if this happens. They also screen movies at the Waterfront and Hillcrest Quarry in Durbanville (I saw that the Afrikaans comedy Semi-Soet will be playing there ;) Do yourself a favour and check out their entire programme here.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to drop me a line :)